Proposed FFA Writer: BajaB

Who should be nominated to take their place with the other authors of fanficauthors.net?

Moderators: Tanaxanth, BadVoodoo

Should BajaB be endorsed for an FFA invitation

Absolutely
60%
Probably
20%
Meh
20%
Probably not
No votes
Definitely not
No votes

Total votes : 20

Proposed FFA Writer: BajaB

Postby Perspicacity » 19 Sep 2011, 21:08

I'll try out Chris's form here with an author whom, I've felt for awhile, FFA would be fortunate to have on board. For purposes of definition, I'm taking "novel" to mean 50k words and above (NaNoWriMo definition) and "novelette/novella" to be 7500 to 49999 words (Wikipedia definition). "Shorter work" is anything less.

As a suggestion to the admins/mods, perhaps a new category should be opened for these threads?

Author Name: BajaB
Author URL: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/943028/BajaB
Fandom(s): Harry Potter
Slash/Mature Content: Occasional mature themes

Summary of author's work: Harry Potter fanfiction; specializes in breezy humor with occasional explorations of dramatic themes. A master of the twist-ending, he has several brilliant stories of note that are very popular and highly reviewed on fanfiction.net. Novels: 2 (2 completed); Novelettes/Novellas: 9 (8 completed); Shorter works: 37

Why I think this author should be on FFA: BajaB is a proven, prolific talent in Harry Potter fanfiction writing with 48 stories to his credit and steady output since 2006. His prose style is simple and direct: clean and fast and, to borrow a term often applied to JKRowling's writing, "sturdy" writing that's there to deliver a killer (and often a twist) ending. And he ends his stories very well, among the best in the fandom. Essentially every story centers on a new idea, most of which have never been explored before. His work is diverse and sufficiently accessible as to appeal to a broad range of readers.

BajaB has two completed novels, The Memory Chest, and Fugitives of Azkaban, but he is probably best known for his popular shorter works, including Almost a Squib, Dark Marauder, Harry the Hufflepuff, and The Substitute. Judging by the large number of reviews his stories have received on fanfiction.net, he is clearly a very popular author who would likely bring substantial traffic to the site.
Perspicacity

Re: Proposed FFA Writer: BajaB

Postby JoeFenton » 20 Sep 2011, 00:32

Absolutely. BajaB has been in my favorites list for a LONG time. I love most of his stories.
JoeFenton

Postby BadVoodoo » 20 Sep 2011, 02:02

I like BajaB in the same way I like Bobmin. Some stuff just clicks for me and is very much enjoyable, but other stuff just misses with me. Overall, I think he's a reasonable pick that branches out away from the super H/Hr trend of late
Thanks to the internet, I have access to instructions on how to build a rail gun, tesla coil, and a phaser
BadVoodoo
Site Admin

Postby ZanyMuggle » 20 Sep 2011, 02:11

BajaB, creator of Golem!Harry, aka Garry. Nuff said.
ZanyMuggle

Postby malko050987 » 20 Sep 2011, 04:29

A very good author indeed :D
Booooooooksss!!!

My Alert C2
malko050987

Postby Benny » 20 Sep 2011, 18:54

Yes, BajaB stories are always well thought-out and often good for several chuckles per chapter.

Alas, he has an appalling tendency to use silly foreign spellings instead of decent American ones, but perhaps he'll eventually realize (not realise) this folly. :)

But overall, his tales have fresh takes on cannon and/or fannon. He'd make a fine addition to FFA.
Benny

Postby jbern » 21 Sep 2011, 00:33

I joined this fine site for the express purpose of voting for my good friend BajaB. He's a quality writer with lots of interesting ideas.
jbern

Postby Babs » 24 Sep 2011, 13:06

Some of the stories, I like very much, others don't take my fancy, but in any case, BajaB is an author with interesting ideas and finished stories.
Babs

Postby Mongo » 25 Sep 2011, 20:06

BajaB is among the top tier of currently-active HP fanfiction writers, and consistently shows variety in his stories. No ruts with him!

I enthusiastically support asking him to join FFA.
Mongo

Postby Perspicacity » 26 Sep 2011, 02:19

It's been nearly a week now and with several of us weighing in, the median poll result is "Absolutely". Notably, the chance to vote in the poll for BajaB drew several august writers and betas from the community (including some from the old FFA forum). It seems pretty much a site consensus, with the only real objections being mild ones of personal taste (though acknowledging that he does good work).

So what's the next step, Chris? :)
"Here I'd broken the laws of fate and magic, risking all to travel back to my beloved, only to be dumped for Colin Creevey." - Harry Potter in A Mother-In-Law's Love
Perspicacity

Postby malko050987 » 26 Sep 2011, 09:58

Perspicacity wrote:So what's the next step, Chris? :)

That would be waiting for Keith to say something. Hopefully it'll be soon.
Booooooooksss!!!

My Alert C2
malko050987

Postby BadVoodoo » 26 Sep 2011, 23:35

I would suggest contacting Keith, rather than waiting for him to happen across this thread, unless somebody has already done so.
Thanks to the internet, I have access to instructions on how to build a rail gun, tesla coil, and a phaser
BadVoodoo
Site Admin

Postby ladyimm » 27 Sep 2011, 00:29

Sounds like a good idea to me - he is a good writer :D.

And welcome to the BtV board JBern :D. (loved your book!)
--Lady Immortal--
God loves you - and so do I.
ladyimm
Site Admin

Postby malko050987 » 27 Sep 2011, 07:03

BadVoodoo wrote:I would suggest contacting Keith, rather than waiting for him to happen across this thread, unless somebody has already done so.

I've been trying to do so for a number of weeks now :) I've recently had word that he's been very busy with real-life issues.
Booooooooksss!!!

My Alert C2
malko050987

Postby BadVoodoo » 27 Sep 2011, 13:08

If anybody here is a member of his yahoo group, perhaps just posting a brief description of the thread and a link here would suffice
BadVoodoo
Site Admin

Postby malko050987 » 27 Sep 2011, 16:18

BadVoodoo wrote:If anybody here is a member of his yahoo group, perhaps just posting a brief description of the thread and a link here would suffice

A link to this thread - and Perspicacity's entire post, was sent both to him and the FFA y!group. Now we just have to wait :) Give it a bit more time.
Booooooooksss!!!

My Alert C2
malko050987

Postby Perspicacity » 08 Oct 2011, 16:31

It looks to me like it's not going to happen (the last I heard, BajaB hasn't been contacted). I think it's probably safe to continue believing that only those on Kinsfire's "favorites" list are being considered, that even grass-roots measures like this one, started by regulars to the FFA forum in the past, are likely to prove ineffectual.

Honestly, I've pretty much stopped even checking for updates. (The only active writers anymore are ones I don't really care to read, having burned out on Harmony years ago).
"Here I'd broken the laws of fate and magic, risking all to travel back to my beloved, only to be dumped for Colin Creevey." - Harry Potter in A Mother-In-Law's Love
Perspicacity

Return to FFA Nominations